What is FSSAI?
Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is an autonomous body. It was established under the Government of India’s Ministry of Health & Family Welfare. By regulating and supervising food safety, FSSAI is responsible for protecting and endorsing public health.
The headquarters of the FSSAI are in New Delhi. The authority also has six regional offices based in Delhi, Guwahati, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata and Cochin.
FSSAI’s main objective is
- To lay down quality standards for food products.
- To legislate food production, processing, distribution, import and sale.
- Facilitating food safety.
FSSAI license types:
There are three sorts of licenses under FSSAI, namely the Basic license,the Central FSSAI license and the State FSSAI license.
Basic FSSAI License:
- Businesses those are small in turnover (12 Lakh INR per annum).
- FBO as a dairy with a potential of less than 500 ltr / day at the budding point.
- This license is ideally required for trades such as tea shops, canteens, food processors and small warehouses. When the business starts to expand in capacity and profit, it can be upgraded.
- Identity proof (having a photograph)
- A passport sized photograph
Government fees: INR 100/- Per Annum
Central FSSAI Licence: It is issued by the nation-wide FSSAI regional offices. It is granted to the food business operator who runs their business on a large-scale/large sales manufacturer or who has an annual turnover of over (INR) 20 Crores.
License eligibility: If you fulfil the following criteria, the FSSAI Central License must be obtained.
- Dairy units plus chilling milk units with a production of 50,000l of milk liquid or 2500 MT milk solid per annum
- The processing unit of vegetable oil naturally or via solvent extraction plus refineries with expelling unit with a production of 2MT daily.
- Slaughter units 50 large animals/150 small animals/1000 poultry birds daily.
- Meat processing 50 kg/150MT or more daily
- Food processing (re-labellers and re-packers inclusive) 2MT daily excluding grains, cereals, and pulses
- Proprietary food manufacturers
- 100% Export oriented units
- Importers including food, food ingredients and additives for commercial use as well
- Storage units capacity more than 50,000MT (excludes controlled atmosphere and cold environment)
- Refrigerator/cold storage more than 10,000MT
- Controlled atmosphere and the cold environment more than 1,000MT
- Wholesalers: INR 30 crore+ yearly turnovers
- Retailers: INR 20 crore+ yearly turnovers
- Distributors: INR 20 crore+ yearly turnovers
- Suppliers: INR 20 crore+ yearly turnovers
- Caterers: INR 20 crore+ yearly turnovers
- Restaurants: INR 20 crore+ yearly turnovers
- Marketers:INR 20 crore+ yearly turnovers
- Transporters:INR 30 crore+ yearly turnovers/ Plus 100 vehicles
- Five star and above hotels
- Catering services that come under establishments or Central Government agencies
- Storage/Wholesalers/Retailers/Distributors working within the premises of Central Government agencies.
- Catering services that come under seaport Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad. Kandla, Trivandrum, Visakhapatnam, Trichy, Cochin, Tuticorin, Marmagoa, Amritsar, Ahmedabad, etc.
Documents Required: To receive a Central FSSAI License, each food business operator must ensure that all the documents below are handy and reviewed.
- Form B duly filled and signed by the proprietor/partner/authorized signatory.
- Blueprint/layout of the processing unit disclosing overall measurements and allocation of manufacturing and operational unit. It is mandatory for manufacturing part.
- Private company – Record of all the directors with full name and address proof.
- Partnership Company – Record of partners with full name and address proof.
- Co-operative society- Record of executive members of the community with full name and address proof.
- Trust – Record of trustees with full name and address proof.
- Record of the types of machinery to be used for the business purpose and must mention the details including names, number, capacity, horsepower, etc.
- The government authorized Identity proof and address proof of proprietor/trustees/society members/partners/signing authority
- Manufactured food category list with complete details
- An authority letter from the person who will be held responsible along with the second responsible person describing the powers vested with them.
- Absolute examination report of water used for food processing.
- Address proof; this can include any of the following rent agreement/electricity bill/sale deed etc.
- Private company Memorandum of Association, Article Of Association
- Co-operative society – Society resolution form and record of chairman and member along with address proof
- Charitable trust Trustee name and certificate
- Partnership business Partnership deed
- Certificate copy issued by Coop Act 1861
- Manufacturer Non-Objection Certificate and license copy
- Food safety management System plan or certificate
- Source of milk including location (if applicable)
- Source raw materials in case of meat and meat processing plants (if applicable)
- Statement of pesticide residues
- Recall plan – in case of re-packer and re-labeller.
- Non-Objection Certificate issued by the municipality or local authorities
- 100\% EDU certificate issued by the ministry of commerce
- Turnover supportive evidence
- FSSAI issued NOC/PA papers
- DGFT issued IE CODE
- FORM IX
- Certificate issued by the Ministry of tourism (hotels)
- Turnover Supporting documents / self-declaration copy of vehicles
- Declaration form
Government Fees Structure
- For issuing a new FSSAI Central license: INR 7,500/-
- For renewal of FSSAI Central license: INR 7,500/-
- For modification of FSSAI Central license: INR 7,500/-
- For Duplicate FSSAI Central license: 10% of the application fees.
State FSSAI license: For manufacturers, storage, transporters, retailers, marketers, distributors, etc., state FSSAI licenses are required. This license is issued in each state by the relevant state authorities.
- Dairy units, including milk chilling units that are equipped to handle or process milk from 501 litres per day (LPD) to 50,000 LPD or 2.5 million tons (MT) to 2,500MT of milk solids per annum.
- Vegetable oil processing units and also units that vegetable oil by the process ofsolvent extraction and refineries, which include oil expeller unit that produces upto 2 MT per day or have an annual turnover of INR 12 lakh and above.
- Slaughtering units that a have a capacity in case of large animals of more than 2and up to 50; for small animals capacity more than 10 and up to 150 and forpoultry birds capacity more than 50 and up to 1000 per day.
- Meat processing units that have a capacity of up to 500 kg of meat per day or of 150 MT per annum.
- All food processing units which even includes re-labellers and re-packers that havea capacity of more than 100 kg per litre and up to 2 MT per day and includes allgrains, pulses and cereals milling units.
- Storage businesses excluding that which have controlled atmosphere and cold,that have a capacity of up to 50,000 MT. For storages that are cold andrefrigerated, the eligibility criteria is a capacity of more than 10,000 MT and forstorages that have cold and controlled atmosphere too, the eligibility capacity ismore than 10,000 MT.
- Wholesalers that have an annual turnover of up to 30 crores.
- Retailers, distributors, suppliers as well as caterers with a turnover of up to 20crores per annum.
- Dhaba owners or owners of other food vending establishments as well as clubsand canteens that have an annual turnover of 12 lakhs.
- Hotels that have a minimum of 3 star rating and below 5 stars.
- Restaurants that have a turnover of up to INR 20 crores.
- Marketers that have a turn over (annual) of 20 crores.
- Transporters that have a minimum of 100 vehicles or wagons, or an annual turnover of up to 30 crores.
- Form-B duly completed and signed by the proprietor.
- Blueprint or layout of the area location.
- Contact details of the directors.
- List and details of the types of equipment and Machinery.
- Proprietor’s photo ID and address proof issued by the Government of India.
- List of food category that has to be manufactured.
- Authority letter with name and address of the responsible person.
- Proof of possession of premises.
- Partnership affidavit of proprietorship.
- NOC and Copy of License from the manufacturer.
- Food Safety Management System Plan or certificate.
Government Fee structure:
|Production over 1 MT per day.||INR 5,000/-|
|10,001 to 50,000 LPD of milk or 501 to 2500 MT of milk solids per annum|
|Below 1 MT of production||INR 3,000/-|
|501 to 10,000 LPD of milk or 2.5 MT to 500 MT of milk solids per annum|
|Hotels up to 4 stars||INR 5,000/-|
|All food service providers including restaurants/ boarding houses, clubs, canteens (schools, colleges, offices, institutions), caterers, banquet halls, dabbawalas and other food business operators.||INR 2,000/-|
FSSAI License Renewal:
The duration of an FSSAI license varies from 1 to 5 years and depends on how many years the food operator prefers. In accordance with the FSSAI guidelines, you would have to apply for the license renewal within 30 days of the expiry of the current license. If the application for renewal of the Food license is not filed within this period, a fine of INR 100 would be levied for each day of delay.
- Which type of license should I take?
The answer is simple.
- If your annual turnover is more than INR 20 crores, you must get a Central FSSAI license.
- For manufacturers, storage, transporters, retailers, marketers, distributors, etc., state FSSAI licenses are required.
- If your turnover is less, (less than 12 lakh INR), you should get a basic FSSAI license.
2. How much time is required for FSSAI license?
FSSAI License certificate will be issued on the 61+ day of filing of completed application
3. FSSAI registration for private limited companies:
- Documents required: Record of all the directors with full name and address proof.
- Fees are to be reviewed as per State and Central guidelines.
4. FSSAI license renewal:
It shall be renewed before the expiry of the period of validity for which it has been accorded.In the event that you have missed the date of renewal of the application, i.e. no later than 30 days before the expiry date, apply for a new FSSAI license if you intend to continue the operation of the food business.
For document related queries, visit the government site: https://foodlicensing.fssai.gov.in/central_document_list.html#fees-tab
5. FSSAI for import and export of food items
For 100% Export oriented units and Importers including food, food ingredients and additives for commercial use as well, Central FSSAI license is required.
6. Do I require FSSAI if I am doing trading of food items?
FSSAI State license is compulsory for food business with annual turnover between INR 12 Lac-INR 20 Cr. in addition, or annually. The turnover limit shall be the same for the FSSAI State Manufacturing License or the FSSAI State Trade License.
7. Do I require FSSAI if I am into catering business?
Retailers, distributors, suppliers as well as caterers with a turnover of up to 20 crores per annum require an FSSAI state license.
For Caterers having a turnover more than INR 20 Crores, Central FSSAI license is required.