GST Registration is a process of registration with the GST (Goods and Services Tax department), GST is an indirect tax levied on most goods and services sold for domestic consumption. Consumers pay GST, but it is passed on to the government by businessmen via selling products and services. Primarily, GST generates revenue for the government.
Who should apply for new GST registration?
Under the GST Act, (CGST Act 2017) merchants/service providers/manufacturers have a turnover of Rs. 40 lakhs for goods (Rs. 10 lakhs for NE and hilly areas) are required to register as a general taxable person. In some businesses such as interstate supplies, registration is mandatory under GST. Without registration under GST, it would be an offense under GST and heavy penalties would apply. GST registration is usually between 2-6 working days.
GST registration fees
The government doesn’t charge any fees for GST registration but if you done GST registration online or by CA, legal advisor, or someone else then it may cost some amount. GST registration fee will usually range from Rs 1199 to Rs 3000 per unit. After making payment to the service provider for GST registration you should get the ARN number post verification in the GST department, GST certificate will be issued within 3-7 working days and if clarification is still requested, the deadline will be extended within 15 to 20 working days.
When is the new GST registration mandatory?
GST registration is not compulsory for farmers who are involved in the cultivation and supply of agricultural products, making supplies that are fully covered under reverse charge, or simply exempting the supply of goods and services. Small taxpayers benefit greatly by registering under the GST composition scheme as it reduces their tax burden. However, the following individuals and businesses must complete GST registration:
- Those registered under earlier taxation laws (VAT, service tax, excise, etc.).
- Businesses exceeding specific threshold limits (Rs 40 lakh for small enterprises and Rs 10 lakh for North-Eastern states, Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu, and Kashmir, as per new rules).
- If a business is selling inter-state.
- If out of state business participating in any event/trade fair as a casual taxpayer
- If a business wants to raise tax invoices for its customers
- Non-resident taxable person and the contingent taxable person
- Those who pay tax under reverse charge mechanism
- Individuals involved in e-commerce or supplying goods through e-commerce platforms.
Documents required for GST registration
Documents are required depending on the type of business you operate. The documents required for GST registration are given below: –
- Permanent Account Number (PAN) of the business unit
- Passport size photo
- Aadhaar card or driving license or passport
- Address proof of business premises
- Bank statement or canceled check or passbook
Additional documents are required for Pvt. Ltd. Co. / OPC / LLP / Partnership Firm
- Certificate of incorporation in case of ltd liability company, OPC, or LLP
- Partnership deed in case of partnership firm
- The opening page of the bank statement is held in the name of the business or proprietor.
- Letter of authority or board resolution
Once all documents go to the GST website https://www.gst.gov.in/ and update all documents and get ARN number post verification from GST department, GST certificate will be issued in 3 to 7 working days if Time limit is 15 to 20 working days if clarification is requested.